Saturday, April 10, 2021

There's No Manual for Life

Today I followed this prompt from NaPoWriMo: listen to a song, take notes on the contents of my junk drawer, and then create a poem combining the two. I chose the song "I Need You Tonight" by the Backstreet Boys. For inspiration from my junk drawer, I used seeds, a blender manual, tea lights, sunglasses, and a little snow grow kit. 


There's No Manual for Life
By Candace Shultz

She started out as a little seed
Needing warmth and nourishment to grow,
But instead she was covered in snow
And her little light couldn't shine.

Now she hides behind the shades of her glasses,
Never letting anyone see her sad eyes.
Having been through so much,
She cannot speak her mind.
Her words just come out all jumbled,
Like food in a blender, all mixed together,
No easy way to parse out all the pieces.
 
She wants to unfurl her petals,
To feel the warm sun on her skin,
But instead she feels colder,
Unable to open her heart
Because she doesn't know how.

2 comments: