Thursday, April 1, 2021

Darkness Descends

National Poetry Writing Month begins today! For the month of April, I will be writing one poem a day. Some days I will follow a prompt, and other days I'll just see where the written word takes me. 

Today I followed a prompt from NaPoWriMo.net to get outside my own head and view the world as a stranger might, to "make the world strange." I was challenged to write a poem inspired by Seductive Fantasy by Sun Ra Arkestra. After watching the video a few times, this is the poem that I wrote:


Darkness Descends

I lay in my shadow,
Pulled into three:
Body, Mind, Soul.
I cannot see.

The earth is spinning.
The lights are bright
Until darkness descends
Into the night.

Upside down.
Inside out.
The world is changing.
I'm filled with doubt.

Something holds me
In the palm of its hand,
Making sweet music
That I don't understand.

Its face looms closer,
Sparks flying from its eyes.
I tremble and whimper.
My throat fills with cries.

Its mouth opens wide
And devours me whole.
Darkness descends:
Body, Mind, Soul.



2 comments:

  1. This I like. Yes, indeed! What a great job you did with the prompt. Thanks for sharing this. Keep going. (I’m Selma at selmamartin.com 😉)

    ReplyDelete