Monday, April 5, 2021

Summer

Today's NaPoWriMo prompt asks us to find a poem and write a new one based on the original by keeping to the same shape (number of stanzas, lines, syllables, even first letter of each line). I used Jill Alexander Essbaum's poem, "Easter," as my inspiration. I didn't keep strictly to using the same first letter of each line or even the same amount of syllables, but I tried to keep to the same shape as her poem.  


Summer
By Candace Shultz

is a season
of joy.

Through grass
I run

and play
with friends.

We smell flowers
and try to hold

butterflies on
the tips of our fingers.

Often we
idle

in the pool
on hot days,

and we all eat
ice cream, the heat

lulling us
to a quiet content.

My birthday brings
the summer

to an end as
I celebrate

with my friends and
family.

Fall will soon
be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment