Sunday, April 3, 2022

Why Didn't I Stop to Take a Rest?

Today I have written a glosa (you can find more information about how to write a glosa here) as prompted by Day 3 of NaPoWriMo. My poem was inspired by Emily Dickinson's poem "Because I could not stop for Death." 

Why Didn't I Stop to Take a Rest?
By Candace Shultz
 
Because I could not stop for Death –
He kindly stopped for me –
The Carriage held but just Ourselves –
And Immortality.

- Emily Dickinson

I didn't want to stop and rest
I didn't even try
Because there was too much to do
I barely closed my eyes
I moved from task to task nonstop
Not caring for my health
From work to school to home again
Just living for my wealth
I did not pause to take a breath
Because I could not stop for Death 

One morning I could not get up
I couldn't rise from bed
A heavy stone lay on my chest
My heart filled up with dread
My body ached from head to toe
The pain I couldn't flee
And when I tried to raise my head
A shadow I did see
Not stopping for Death guaranteed
He kindly stopped for me 

He stepped closer to me in bed.
I closed my eyes in fear,
But then he spoke to me so kind, 
"You'll be okay, my dear."
I dared to look at him again,
Not feeling like myself
As my hand took his and he lifted
Me, walking past my bookshelf.
He carried me to the car himself.
The Carriage held but just Ourselves 

Life didn't flash before my eyes,
Only my question why
Didn't I stop to take a rest.
Why didn't I even try?
Why did I care so much for wealth?
I was too blind to see.
I looked at Death right by my side
And he looked back at me.
In his eyes I saw sympathy
And Immortality. 







2 comments: