Sunday, April 17, 2022

To the Friendly Dog on the Pecan Colored Fence

Today's NaPoWriMo prompt has me writing about dogs. This particular poem is about a dog that loves to sit high on a fence and bark at everyone, whether they are driving a car, riding their bike, or walking nearby. I like to think this dog is friendly and just wants to say hello. 


To the Friendly Dog on the Pecan Colored Fence
By Candace Shultz

Sometimes you startle me when I walk by you

On my way to take the kids to school.

The loud noises you make can be surprising.

Sometimes you make me smile to see you there

On top of the fence every day greeting me 

And everyone else who walks by your yard.

You must love people, or maybe you are lonely?

Do you want a friend to say hello to you?

You never try to jump down from your high perch.

You never chase the kids or the cars.

You never bite or growl.

You just sit there on the fence

And bark to all who will listen.

Well, friend, I hear you, and I say hello. 


No comments:

Post a Comment