Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Do Not Sleep the Day Away

Today's NaPoWriMo prompt challenged me to start my poem with a command. Since I'm having a sleepy morning, I decided to start my poem by commanding myself to wake up. 

Mochi Mochi cats - Image from Google search


Do Not Sleep the Day Away
By Candace Shultz

Wake up!

Do not fall asleep.

Resist the pull of heavy eyes

And the temptation of your bed.

Come on, sleepyhead.


Brew a cup of coffee.

Walk around the block.

Go out to meet a friend.

But do not sit in your comfy chair

Because sleep will find you there.


Resist the urge to nap.

Pull open the blinds,

And let the morning light in.

You just need to try.

Don't let life pass you by.

4 comments:

  1. Could have used this peppy anthem this afternoon when I couldn't keep my eyes open!

    Here is my preachy offering for the same prompt:
    http://namysaysso.com/blog/may-think-preachy-napowrimo-atozchallenge/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading my poem. :)

      I read your poem too. I especially like the lines "Your victimhood hangs as a wreath on your front door" and "a future shaped not by the lines on your hand, but by what your hands do."

      Delete
  2. But do not sit in your comfy chair

    Because sleep will find you there.


    Yes ^^ - to everything in the poem really! Great use of commands.

    ReplyDelete