Sunday, April 2, 2023

Shadows from the Past

Today I followed a prompt to choose 5-10 words from a list (found here), turn them into questions, and give one-line surreal answers using images. I tried my best to follow the prompt, but I'm not sure I succeeded.

These are the questions and answers I gave based on 10 words:

  1. What is salt? The sweat glistening on my skin
  2. What is longing? A wilting flower dropping its petals into the parched dirt
  3. What is elusive? Breaking free of the ropes of the past
  4. What is a gutter? The empty spaces and pregnant pauses between words spoken
  5. What is a miracle? Waking up every morning, being alive
  6. What is a ghost? A memory of my past self, a girl whispering her doubts into my ear
  7. What is mercurial? A girl laughing only to sink to her knees and cry torrents of tears
  8. What is thunder? A mighty warrior clashing swords with his enemy in a field of war
  9. What is a song? A siren luring men to their deaths
  10. What is an acorn? A small baby who changes the world
I used these definitions to create my poem titled "Shadows from the Past."

Shadows from the Past
By Candace Shultz

A shadow of a girl appears
and whispers words of doubt into my ear.
Empty spaces between expressions spoken
fill with pregnant pauses,
and she laughs as I sink to my knees.
I cry on the parched earth,
like a flower losing its petals,
screaming out for the water of life.

She is a siren luring me to my death,
but I will not let her defeat me.
Like a mighty warrior, I clash swords
with the enemy within me. 
I struggle, and sweat glistens on my skin.
I might be small, but I can change my world,
and I can break off the bindings of my past
to be free - to be alive - to be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment