Monday, April 3, 2023

A Black, Black Rose

I followed a prompt to rewrite someone's poem by replacing it with words that mean the opposite. My poem today was inspired by Robert Burns' poem "A Red, Red Rose." The first poem I will share is Robert Burns' poem. Then you will see my poem "A Black, Black Rose" in response. 


A Red, Red Rose
BY ROBERT BURNS

O my Luve is like a red, red rose
    That’s newly sprung in June;
O my Luve is like the melody
    That’s sweetly played in tune.

So fair art thou, my bonnie lass,
    So deep in luve am I;
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
    Till a’ the seas gang dry.

Till a’ the seas gang dry, my dear,
    And the rocks melt wi’ the sun;
I will love thee still, my dear,
    While the sands o’ life shall run.

And fare thee weel, my only luve!
    And fare thee weel awhile!
And I will come again, my luve,
    Though it were ten thousand mile.




A Black, Black Rose
By Candace Shultz

Oh, your hatred is like a black, black rose
    That's been dead since December;
Oh, your hatred is like the discordant noise
    That no one wants to remember.

So horrible are you, your ugly soul,
    So shallow your hatred shows;
And yet your hatred clings, oh dear,
    Until, well, no one knows.

Until no one knows, oh dear,
    And your heart freezes overnight;
Your hatred remains, oh dear,
    Until you give up the fight.

I hope your hatred goes away
    And dies a sudden death!
Because if it doesn't go away,
    You'll never catch your breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment