Friday, April 26, 2024

I Am a Poet

For today's NaPoWriMo prompt, we were challenged to include alliteration, consonance, and assonance in our poems. I enjoy using alliteration (repetition of a consonant at the beginning of words), so my poem uses that technique a lot, but I did try to use consonance (repetition of consonant sound elsewhere in words) and assonance (repetition of vowel sounds) as well. I hope you enjoy my poem.


I Am a Poet
By Candace Shultz

I do not know what to write.

Why would you wish this on me?

You being myself as I stare at the screen,

Sullen and cross, cursing myself for promising

Poetry for all of April, even if I promised myself

And no one else. Yet I yearn to do better.

To write better. Write more. For I can't succeed

If I don't even try. I need these days of poetry

To remind myself that I am a writer even if

Some days my words drown with the dirty dishes

And months melt away in the summer heat

Where not a single sentence meets pen or paper

And winter wreaks havoc on my hurting hands.

They crack and bleed burying my need to create

Until springtime thaws my thoughts and I want

To write words again, to put them to pencil.

In the month of April, poetry pours forth

From my mind until I have nothing left.

No comments:

Post a Comment