Thursday, April 25, 2019

I Want to Paint a Picture

I want my paintbrush to caress the canvas
With beautiful colors: purples, pinks, yellows, and blues
Swirling together to form a sunset in the sky;
Shades of green and brown filling in the branches and leaves of a majestic tree;
A splash of blue for a lake against the bright green blades of grass.
Instead my paintbrush only scratches the surface:
The colors of the sky somehow mixing into a muddy brown,
The limbs of my tree melding together instead of branching off,
The leaves losing their details in a clump of green,
The lake blue but bland, and the grass dull on the bottom of my canvas.
I want to paint a picture from the creativity of my mind,
But my art cannot be expressed on a painter's canvas.
My canvas is paper. My paintbrush a pen.
My art is the written word.

__________________________________________________________________________

The prompt for Day 22 of NaPoWriMo was to write a poem engaging with another art form. I chose painting as another art form, something I've tried to do numerous times. Unless I'm at a Paint n' Sip event or watching a tutorial on how to paint something specific, I have a hard time painting a good picture. I even tried to follow a Bob Ross painting tutorial and completely failed. I don't paint trees very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment