Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Beginning of My Shared Story Journal

On September 1st, I posted about my writing projects in the making. The last project I talked about was one from swap-bot where you start a story and someone continues it and sends it to another person to continue: a shared story. I joined that swap, and I'm sharing with you what I wrote for the beginning of the story. When I get the journal back (could be several months from now), I'll post the finished story. It doesn't have a title yet since I don't know where the story's going. Thanks for reading.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Kayla stood by the open window. A gentle breeze flowed into the room and caressed her skin, sending shivers down her spine. Though goosebumps formed on her arms, she stayed by the window and endured the chill in the air.

The moon shone brightly in the dark sky, though Kayla did not see any twinkling stars. She looked beyond her bedroom window to the street below. Her parents' minivan sat in their driveway. The neighbors' cars waited quietly on the streets to be driven to work or school in the morning. A light here and there appeared in the neighboring houses as restless sleepers got up for a glass of water or decided to read a book until sleep overtakes them.

The wind suddenly picked up and sent whirling leaves into Kayla's bedroom from the tree by her window. She picked up an orange leaf from her hardwood floor and twirled it between her fingers. She opened her hand and then let it flit to her feet to join the other autumn leaves resting in her room.

Kalya then sat on her bed and grabbed her iphone from her pillow, where she had thrown it moments before looking out the window. She pressed a few buttons and sent a text: Where are you? She stared at the phone for a few minutes, willing it to ring. Then, she received a reply: I'm here. Suddenly, she heard a rustling of leaves, so she rushed to the window, her phone forgotten again on her messy bed, and she looked down at the figure climbing her tree.









Update (March 23, 2014): I never received my story back, so I'll need to take another look at this story and continue it on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment