Saturday, January 2, 2016

A Resolution to Keep

Today's prompt from The Daily Post asks if I ever made a New Year's resolution that I've kept. My honest answer is that I have no clue. I can't remember. I haven't made New Year's resolutions for years, not including this year. I don't remember the last time I made a resolution. It probably had something to do with losing weight, going on a diet, or exercising more. I've never been good at keeping those resolutions. I really don't like exercising or dieting. I become an angry person when I have to count calories and consume only 1,200 calories a day to actually lose weight. It's no fun. That's probably why I couldn't keep that resolution years ago.

This year I hope to keep my New Year's resolutions: writing 30 minutes a day, writing 12 poems and 3 short stories, and completing a NaNoWriMo novel. I might be setting myself up for failure by having so many goals, but I don't think I'll fail this time, at least not with my poetry and stories. I'm hoping I won't slip up on writing for 30 minutes a day, but seeing that I don't write until late at night when the children are sleeping and I'm almost ready for bed, I might forget to write some times. And actually I think that's okay. As long as I intend to write every day and actually make the attempt to do it, even if I only write a sentence and stare at the screen the rest of the time, at least I tried. At least I focused on writing for that 30 minutes. I have a feeling I might stare at my screen a lot, especially when first starting this new habit of writing, but eventually it should come easier with practice. I'm hoping the ideas will start flowing, like how my sister seems to have so many ideas for stories that she can barely keep up with herself. I'd rather have too many ideas than none at all.

This year I am resolute.