Saturday, April 26, 2014

The Way to My Heart

Today is Day 26 of National Poetry Month. Only four more days to go! Based on NaPoWriMo's prompt for today, I wrote a curtal sonnet. It's a shortened form of the sonnet, having 10 1/2 lines (the 1/2 line is the last line) instead of the usual 14 lines. The rhyme scheme is abcabc for the first stanza of 6 lines and then dbcdc for the last stanza of 4 1/2 lines. I found this type of poetry challenging, but fun. 

The Way to My Heart
By Candace Shultz

Forget the roses and the flower pots
unless you want to see the flowers die,
the petals falling one by one, the dirt
so dry, the leaves so brown for want of lots
of water days after we say goodbye.
I'm just not good with flowers. Don't be hurt.

I'm telling you to get me chocolates:
Muddie Buddies, Hershey Almonds, or pie.
A Hershey Kiss? You'll see a smile. I'll flirt
with you all day. But a Cadbury gets 
you a dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment