Saturday, April 5, 2014

The Sound of Water

I attempted to write a "golden shovel" poem based on the Day 5 prompt at NaPoWriMo. You can find out more information about this type of poetry at the NaPoWriMo website. My poem was inspired by "Old Pond," a famous haiku poem written by Matsuo Basho. The last word of each line in my poem is a word from Basho's poem:

The old pond-
a frog jumps in,
the sound of water.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Sound of Water
By Candace Shultz

I see my daughter splash in the
puddle and remember the old
days when I splashed in a pond;
So I ask her if she wants to go to a
pond, and she says, "Can we see a frog
that might be a prince?" We arrive, and she jumps
like the frog, landing in -
side the water. At least she didn't kiss the
frog and imagine the sound
of a hungry snake in fields of
poppy flowers. She's happier in the water. 

No comments:

Post a Comment