Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Poems That Lie

I Always Lie
By Candace Shultz

I am drawing a picture.
The sky is green.
The grass is blue.
Up is down
And down is sideways.
The earth is square.
Mountains are flat.
The sun is cold.
Antarctica is hot.
My drawing has spiders in it.


Today is Day 16 of National Poetry Month, and I followed NaPoWriMo's prompt (who in turn got this prompt from Daisy Fried): write a ten-line poem where every line is a lie. I actually wrote two poems for this exercise. After writing my first poem, the last line inspired me to write the second poem.


I Love Spiders
By Candace Shultz

I love spiders.
I adore their beady eyes 
and their eight hairy legs.
I delight in them 
creeping about my house.
Spiders are my friends.
I'm happy with their webs 
clinging to my windows
and the corners of each room.
I get excited when they drop 
down with their spider silk, 
floating in front of my face.
I really enjoy their company.
I secretly hope they crawl 
all over me in my sleep.
I'd never squish them 
or throw them out the door.
I truly love spiders.




No comments:

Post a Comment