Tuesday, April 8, 2014

I Am Not Fine

I followed NaPoWriMo's prompt for Day 8 of National Poetry Month: rewriting a famous poem with my own spin. I chose Langston Hughes' poem Life is Fine.


I Am Not Fine
By Candace Shultz

I went down to the basement,
I sat down on the floor.
I tried to see but couldn't
Because someone shut the door.

I stood up and I hollered.
I stumbled towards the stairs.
If I hadn't known where a flashlight was
I'd still be unawares.

It was Dark in that basement! It was dark!

I climbed to the kitchen
Ten stairs above the basement.
I opened the door to see
The ghost of my mean old aunt.

I turned around and hollered!
I ran back down the stairs!
If I hadn't opened the door
I'd still be unawares.

But she's so scary! She's so scary!

So since I'm still here sitting,
I guess I will just starve.
I could've run outside,
But I didn't have the nerve.

Because no one will hear me holler
And my life has gone awry,
My aunt will surely make me
Stay here until I die.

Let me out! Out from here! Let me out!

No comments:

Post a Comment