Thursday, April 18, 2013

Death, He Welcomes Me

As I thought about what to write today, a line popped into my head: I looked in the mirror and Death stared back at me. From that line, this poem just unfolded itself into its current form.


Death, He Welcomes Me
By Candace Shultz

As a child,
I climbed a tree and Death climbed up with me.
I swam in the ocean and Death swam after me.
I rode my bike down a hill and Death rode close behind.

As a teenager,
I drove a car and Death sat next to me.
I went to a party and Death was holding a beer.
I laughed in the face of danger and Death laughed back at me.

As an adult,
I kept myself busy with work, family, and friends,
But even though I tried to forget him, Death would lurk around.
I'd look in the mirror and find Death staring back at me.

Now that I'm older,
I watch my grandchildren as I rock in my chair and Death sits by my side.
I smile at all my family and Death reaches for my hand.
I close my eyes and see my old friend Death as he welcomes me.


No comments:

Post a Comment